Sofrito de Tomate,
This traditional tomato sauce, Sofrito de Tomate, is great with meatballs
browned in olive oil.
(Fried Tomato Sauce)
It is also delicious with chicken, pork, potatoes, and even pasta!
Ingredients for Sofrito de Tomate:
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbs. chopped garlic
- 4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 5 lb. of tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 dozen hazelnuts, skinned
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1/2 cup of wine or chicken stock
Preparation Instructions for Sofrito de Tomate:
- Sauté chopped union and garlic until the onion is softened.
- Add the tomatoes and fry on high heat for a few minutes.
- Add the salt, bay leaf, parsley and liquid.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid
- Put the sauce in a blender with the hazelnuts and puree until smooth.
Add the Sofrito de Tomate to your meat, fish or chicken five minutes before
it is finished.
This will impart the delicious flavors of this sauce to your main course.